Saturday, October 12, 2013

If You Forget Me, Read This

Written in response to the most recent Poetic Asides prompt: 

For this week’s prompt, take the phrase “If You (blank),” replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write the poem. Possible titles might include: “If You Dare,” “If You Read Poetry,” “If Your Friends Jump,” etc.


Read Letters Never Sent


If You Forget Me, Read This

Let this pen warm your finger-
tips with energy
of the living, your eyes,
gaze down upon blank
poems waiting to be filled
with lines of longing
and left behind. Let the air
I breathe in recycle
from your lungs to pop-
lar trees swaying their way
through to my love-
less forest. Let the blue(s)
played by my skies
accompany jazzy sunset lover’s
embrace beside
while sealing away dripping
kisses in envelopes
of perfumed droplets, blood-
shot tears shed at the loss
of something I only
ever had in my mind.
Let yourself take
it all in and know you
have never been.
Let yourself know
you will never be
forgotten.



*****

8 comments:

  1. WOWZERS! love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So long ago and I never responded. Thank you, Mel, and sorry to take so long.
      xo

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhhhh. I.Love.This.
    This little line break, in particular, has me completely enamored:
    "from your lungs to pop"

    Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there you are again. Sorry I never replied. I guess I responded in my head, but not online. Thank you. xo

      Delete