Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Day of Poetry Makes Me Happy

Today has been a happy day for me. Not only did the MouseTales Press team finish pulling together the print copy of the January issue, but I also received news that my poem, “Coffee Dates,” was selected as one of Robert Lee Brewer’s top ten poems from his somonka challenge.

“The somonka is comprised of two tankas written as love letters–each tanka from one of two lovers.”

Regarding that mine is more about a breakup than love: Robert always accepts variations on form "rules." 

Coffee for One

 Coffee Dates

I nurse memories
of you in tiny teacups,
no milk. You cannot
be diluted. I swallow
your bitterness through clenched teeth.

I gave up coffee
and you, both a waste of taste
and time. I sold all
my teacups when I gave you
away on Valentine’s day.


Thanks for visiting and I hope you will visit Mag Cloud soon to see (or better yet, to help support a small press by making a purchase!) the January 2014 issue of Mouse Tales Press.


*****

2 comments:

  1. Love it Linda! It actually had two voices. :) I like the "bite" of the second tankas, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Sabra! Your support means a lot!

    ReplyDelete